Family permits

UK Immigration laws have been designed to allow UK Nationals, European Economic Area (EEA) Nationals and UK Permanent Residents living in the UK to sponsor their spouse or partner, parents and/or children to stay in the UK.

Visas are still available for parents wanting to join their children, although this is usually only possible when the parent is financially dependent on the child in the UK (for European Passport holders), or when a parent is unable to function in their home country due to illness or disability (British Passport holders).

Spouse/Partner Visas

The definition of an eligible partner is a:

  • Spouse (husband, wife or civil partner)
  • Unmarried or same-sex partner
  • Fiancé or proposed civil partner

Partner Visa applicants are usually required to provide evidence that the relationship is on-going and genuine.

Other prerequisites include a minimum age of 18 (for partners), evidence of accommodation, passing the minimum income threshold for the British Citizen, and the relevant family member must pass an approved English language test.

Visas in this class are issued for two years and six months and you will be able to extend it towards the end of this period.

EEA family permit

The EEA family permit is similar to a visa as it allows you to enter and leave the UK as a non-EEA family member of an EEA national.

An EEA national who lives and works in the UK can sponsor a family member. The definition of a family member is generous and includes a child, parent, fiancé, unmarried partner, grandchild or grandparent.

Any successful applicant can study, work or live in the UK without restriction.

Applicants may eventually be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and British Nationality.

Contact us if you would like to begin your visa application, or if you would like more information.

Other UK immigration services

Want to know more? Read about other UK Visa options: