UK Work Visas

London is a financial powerhouse and it is no surprise that the UK continues to be a top global business destination. There are a wide-range of visas available to people looking for work opportunities in the UK.

Some of the most popular Work Visa options are:

  • High Value Migrants: Tier 1 (General) visa extensions
  • Tier 2 (General) visa
  • Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer)
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme: Tier 1 (General) visa extensions

Please note: The Tier 1 (General) visa extension will no longer be available from 6 April 2015.

The Tier 1 (General) visa route is closed for new applicants, but those already on this scheme who are resident in the UK may wish to extend their visa.

Tier 2 (General) visa

The Tier 2 (General) visa category is for migrants who have been offered a job by a UK-based company that holds a relevant Home Office licence and is willing to sponsor the migrant. The scheme was introduced in November 2008 as a replacement for the defunct Work Permit Scheme.

It is often thought that this visa class remains out of reach for the average applicant. However, these visas are an option for migrant’s wishing to fill graduate level jobs in instances where a UK employer has not been able to source a local worker.

Some holders of Tier 2 (General) visas can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) at the end of a five year term.

Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa

This visa category allows an employee of an international company to be transferred, or seconded, to its UK-based entity as a sponsored worker, allowing them to live and work in the country.

This scheme is usually only available if you wish to take up a graduate-level role within the UK branch of the company, and will require a specific licence from the Home Office.

Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa

The Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa category gives religious workers with a job offer from an official UK-based religious organisation the opportunity to live and work in the UK as a sponsored worker.

You can stay in the UK for a maximum of up to three years and one month with this visa.

Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa

This visa enables elite and internationally established sportspeople and coaches the opportunity to live and work in the UK as sponsored workers.

You will need your sport’s governing body to endorse your application and it will have to be shown that your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level.

This visa will allow you to stay in the UK for up to three years, you may be able to extend it for another three years.

If any of these visas seem the right option for you, or if you would like help to determine which visa you should apply for, please contact us.

Other UK immigration services

Want to know more? Read about other visa options: